Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Raptor vs. Dove

There was some excitement in our backyard today. There were a lot of feeder birds out today, and they were in the process of cleaning me out. I decided to head and fill the feeders before the birds started to retaliate - as I got to the back door all the birds took off and I was just in time to see this Sharp Shinned Hawk (far as I can tell) take out an Eurasian Collared Dove.
 
I guess that's what happens when you feed birds - you supply a lunch buffet for raptors, too!
 
This picture was before I slid open the sliding glass door. You can see the dove had only lost a few feathers at this point
 












I could tell I was starting to make it nervous, so I let it be to go to the store. When we got back, there was nothing but feathers! Plus a small pile of bird seed, that I think came out of the bird's crop which is pretty awesome. There's Dakota checking out the carnage...and licking the feathers, silly dog.


No comments:

Post a Comment