Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A Very Gray Jay

This past weekend, we went up to the McCall, Idaho area. There was a winter festival taking place, with ice sculptures and things like that. We spent a little time in the town, but mostly we just enjoyed the drive up there. Its a scenic byway that follows the Payette river and it's a beautiful drive.
We wanted to check out a hot spring that was about 30 minutes outside of Cascade, unfortunately the hot spring was busier than we like. But, I did get to add a new bird to my list.
 
It's a beautiful thing living in a state like Idaho, where there are pockets of different ecosystems and habitat throughout the state. We spent our time "up north" in about four feet of snow, drove three hours south to our home and were basking in 40 degree weather, and scrub brush.
 
Being able to get to different habitats very quickly means I have a better chance of seeing a variety of birds. Like this Gray Jay, who would never dream of visiting our semi-arid climate.
 

 Showing me his tail feathers...
 


 
I love these birds. Their beady little black eyes, and cute little bill, they easily make my top 10 favorite birds.  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment