Saturday, January 11, 2014

Rough-legged Hawk takes off

The last weekend of December found us driving four hours to get to Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge in Utah. What a trip! Check out their website here and follow them on Facebook if you have one. We were trying to snag a few new birds for my year list and we were able to add four new species, but even if we didn't it would not have been a wasted trip.
 
The center was closed for the holiday, so we just drove the 12 mile auto loop. Northern Harriers, ducks and Rough-legged hawks were everywhere. My favorite shots of the day were of this Rough-legged Hawk. I was able to snag some pictures of him lightening his load (if you catch my drift) and taking off.
 




I have many more shots of this beauty...but this will do for now. If you are in the Ogden, UT area, or anywhere near there stop by. It's a great drive, we cannot wait to go back in the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment